Angela- "While in high school, my best friend's mother would always buy an extra pack of hot dogs to keep around her house just in case I stopped by for an afternoon snack."
Aaron- "I loved them so much as a child that I would eat them cold, straight out of the bag. Later on, my affinity for "the dog" was lost after a bad round of mac & weenies that was more weenies than mac. Since then I've regained my taste - there's nothing quite like a hot dog covered in mustard and onions at a ball game."
So this summer we have dedicated ourselves to finding the BEST that Denver has to offer.
Now what would the best hot dog look like to us?
Angela- A cold poppy seed bun, grilled dog with mustard, NO ketchup, with relish and sauerkraut.
Aaron- A steamed white bun, grilled dog with mustard, ketchup, chopped onions and occasionally sweet relish. All washed down with a cold root beer.
To help find the perfect hot dog, after long deliberation, we have come up with a special judging system. At each new hot dog establishment, we will evaluate the dogs on the following criteria:
- Value (Is the price of the dog worth what you get?)
- Presentation (Does it actually look like something I would want to eat?)
- Preparation (Grilled, boiled, microwaved, or other?)
- Ambiance (Am I afraid of walking out of this place with some type of disease?)
- Taste (Flavor heaven or could it replace soap as a punishment for swearing?)
Each dog will receive an overall score on a scale of 1 to 5 weenies. Besides a blog update, we'll keep track of where we have been on the side bar.
Here is a preliminary list of joints we have lined up:
- Steve's Snappin' Dogs
- Mustard's Last Stand
- Bernie's Hot Dog Company
- Coors Field
- Hot dog stand on the corner of... to be determined
- Meyers and Wolfe Fine Hot Dog and Hamburgers
- Chicago Style Beef and Dogs
- Hardware Store Challenge (Ace Hardware/Home Depot)
And if you happen to "relish" the occasional hot dog, come join us on one of our weekly adventures!
So get excited for our summer of hot dogs! Look forward to our first review next week!